While every mentor leaves a unique and lasting impression in the lives of their mentee, here are a few broad guidelines:
- The first call to your mentee will obviously be to introduce yourself, and get to know a little bit about his/her background. At this time, you may set up an appointment for your next call. Also do read out the mentee guidelines attached to him/her.
- Do also confirm if your mentee is on WhatsApp. This will make it easier for you to exchange lesson plans and any homework that you might assign from time to time.
- We suggest that you attempt to converse with your mentee for at least two hours a week. This may be broken up into two one hour sessions, or, more frequent shorter sessions, if that suits you better. While we do advocate a minimum of two hours a week, there is no upper limit. We have mentors who are speaking to their mentees several times a week!
- Your group head is your link to TTM! Most communications will flow through him or her. Each time you have completed a lesson with your mentee, please send your group head a WhatsApp message, with just one word, “DONE” followed by your full name. This is extremely important. We request your compliance on this matter.
- All lesson plans are posted on the website under ‘Learning Materials’. Please download all the lesson plans from the first week . You have a choice of several lesson plans. Please choose any that are appropriate to your mentee’s level and interest. Please inform your mentee about the selected lesson so they are prepared.
- We request you to make contact with your mentee within a week of receiving our welcome email. Kindly let your Group Head know once you have made contact.
- If you need to interrupt your regular sessions with your mentee for any reason, please let your Group Head know so that he/she can attempt to arrange a substitute. Likewise, if your mentee needs to take an extended break, please inform your Group Head.
For your protection:
- Please do not disclose your precise address to your mentee.
- Please do not accept video calls.
- And please do not entertain any requests for money.
We would like to work as a tightly knit community to learn from each other, and to support each other. So please do not hesitate to contact your Group Head if you run into any issues with your mentee. Do let us know what works, and what doesn’t. And we would be delighted to listen to any suggestions you might have, to make the programme more effective. Our preferred means of communication is through firstname.lastname@example.org