My friend’s parents had invited me to go to India Gate with them. It was a short distance from where they lived. They told me to be at their house by 1 pm. It was a ten minute bike ride to my friend’s house, so I decided to leave home at 12:50pm. That was a mistake. My bike had a flat tyre, and I had to walk instead. This took much longer than I expected. My friend’s entire family was already waiting for me in the car! It was also a very hot day. Everyone was upset because I had kept them waiting. They were getting ready to leave without me. I regretted my unpunctuality. I am glad that they waited.
- The theme of today’s paragraph is punctuality. Ask the mentee to identify the theme i.e. “What does the story tell you?” Difference between story line and moral.
- Ask questions based on the paragraph: What was “a mistake”? What could she have done to avoid the mistake? Etc.
- Ask the mentee to substitute words and make complete sentences: ‘hot’ with ‘cold, freezing, it was raining hard or it was drizzling.’ Also: Substitute ‘India Gate’ with ‘market, park’ etc. Have them make complete sentences.
- You can introduce pronouns such as: ‘she’ and ‘her’ and ‘he’ and ‘his.’
- Written assignment: substitute a few of the words in this paragraph. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get them to proceed slowly. To begin with, they could substitute only 5 or 6 words.