Nature surrounds us wherever we are. Even among all the buildings of a big city like New Delhi, a red flower, a green tree, the golden sun, the orange sunset, the blue sky reminds us of the beauty that surrounds us. Not only is nature beautiful, it is ever changing through different seasons – Spring, Summer, Monsoon and Winter.
Nature meets three of our most important needs – food, water and shelter. Nature gives us food to eat, water to drink and wood to build houses. It’s our responsibility to save nature.
However, have you noticed how we human beings destroy nature? We cut trees from the forest to burn fires, build our homes and make furniture. By cutting trees we reduce the level of oxygen in the air. Industries, cars, air conditioners and sprays also emit poisonous gases that cause air pollution.
How can we respect nature and our environment? It will require a lot of commitment from each one of us. Here are some practical ways:
- Water is an important natural resource. We should save every drop of water by turning off taps when not in use. We should also avoid wasting water while brushing our teeth.
- We must not throw garbage in rivers or drains, as these activities pollute our water bodies.
- We must be conscious of our energy consumption. Switch off the light when no one is in the room. Switch of chargers when not being used.
- We should avoid using plastic bags and bottles, and definitely not throw them around.
By being aware of these simple yet effective measures, we can all contribute greatly towards saving Mother Nature for future generations.
A) Discussion Points:
- Describe the four seasons and their importance.
- What practical steps will you take to save the environment? Give specific examples.
- Describe the effects of the Monsoon in the area where you live and work.
B) Vocabulary: Please make your own sentences with the following words:
- Responsibility – the state or fact of being accountable.
- Emit – to give out light/heat/sound/smell.
- Poisonous – deadly, harmful
- Environment – the surroundings or conditions in which a person, animal, or plant lives or operates
- Commitment – strong support for something you believe is right.
- Consumption – the act of eating or using up something
- Effective – successful in producing a desired result
C) Unscramble the sentence: nature we our environment and respect can how