Please listen to the poem and read the script. Afterwards please try to answer the
Preview YouTube video Nature Is Speaking – Julia Roberts is Mother
Nature | Conservation International (CI)
Preview YouTube video Nature Is Speaking – Julia Roberts is Mother Nature | Conservation International (CI)
Some call me “nature”.
Others call me “Mother Nature.”
I’ve been here for over four and a half billion years,…
…22,500 times longer than you.
I don’t really need people.
But people need me.
Yes, your future depends on me.
When I thrive, you thrive.
When I falter, you falter, or worse.
But I’ve been here for eons.
I have fed species greater than you.
And I have starved species greater than you.
My oceans, my soil, my flowing streams, my forests.
They all can take you, or leave you.
How you choose to live each day, whether you regard or disregard me,…
…doesn’t really matter to me.
One way or the other,…
…your actions will determine your fate, not mine.
I am nature.
I will go on.
I am prepared to evolve.
1. What do you understand by the phrase ‘Mother Nature?’
2. Would it be enough to say ‘nature?’ Why ‘Mother’ nature?
3. In what ways are human beings destroying nature?
4. What will happen to us if we continue to destroy nature?
5. Give 2 examples of how our actions determine our fate?
6. In what ways can we help nature to thrive or to prosper?
7. Why do you think this is an important poem?
8. Do you think that human actions are responsible, in any way, for the current pandemic?